Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Dirt Cheap Folding Saw



I recently took up the very manly task of pickin my own timber. I bought some cheapo tools for this: A small axe, a shorty crowbar and the folding saw. I was not quite sure to what extent that they would do the job, but surprisingly enough I went back home with 20Kg (44lbs) of wood. Most of the splitting I did was with this cheaper-than-dirt saw that cost less than 3€ (4$ right now)!

Open for business
It folds better, lazy me!




Up ahead came the uphill section

By the way, in case some tree-huggers read this, I only take fallen branches ;-)

The blade locks quite securely in place by means of a spring loaded button, with virtually no play. The grip is comfortable for a while, then you will get some nice blisters (or is it my delicate skin).
Look closer, there's branches inside the pack too


Should I label this as a 'survival' tool? Well, it is small and lightweight enough to carry, cuts through dry wood like a hot knife through butter, and it is holding up fine after cutting a few thick branches. As a funny remark, the colors are almost the same as those of Gerber's Bear Grylls signature series tools.

Then I had to split them small enough to fit the tiny hearth

Name the movie, LOL!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a winner. Is it available on amazon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I bought it at a (walk-in) convenience store, for even less than the shipping costs for anything similar from Amazon...

      Delete